Thursday, January 22, 2009

Where is my starting point?

The class started with my complaint on the slow response from the class wiki. After some discussion we concluded that it happened due to a number of reasons. Some of the reasons are time constraints, not much reading has been done (therefore no ideas), misunderstanding of instruction, unsure what to write, etc. Hopefully, the discussion will be heated up soon so that everybody could contribute so that content could be developed on time.

Next, we did a little bit of role play in Dr Tee's effort in trying to make us understand all the processes involved in producing a module. The role play acts as an analogy of what we are going to go through in designing and producing the end product for our class project. Thinking about our project, I ask myself this question: Where is my starting point? Where do I start? Have I identified the topic of the module? How sure am I the module will become a solution to learning problems? Who are my target audience?

Well, as for now, I intend to work with Iza to produce a module for learning English language. We may focus on how to do summary writing or continuous writing, or a literature component in English. Have I reached my starting point? Not quite, until Iza and I finalise what we are going to do then only we would decide.

Then, Dr Tee gave marvelous and useful inputs on ADDIE model and the significance of evaluation in every step of the way. Then, things became more complicated when he elaborated lengthily on the 4 layers of SECI model. He summarised the layers as:
  • Layer 1 : Creating a stimulating learning environment.
(originating ba, dialoguing ba, systemizing ba, exercising ba)
  • Layer 2 : Activating deep learning process (SECI)
  • Layer 3 : Facilitation to guide and support learning process.
  • Layer 4 : How will you evaluate progress? Evaluation
I might use the generic ADDIE model to design the module. I have used ADDIE when my coursemate and I produced a CD Rom learning courseware for our multimedia course for Pn Rafiza. I have also used Smith and Ragan to produce a module for learning how to install and use Moodle (Casa Moodle) for our IDD class for Prof RM. Besides, my team and I have used Dick and Carey Model to produce a website (One Stop Literature in English) on Moodle for our IT class for Dr Norizan. Finally, my team and I have used ASSURE model in producing a website Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde on freewebs for our Internet Application class for Huiwan.

What ever module that I am going to produce this time must involve the stakeholders' , i.e. the students. to evaluate and give feedbacks. That would be quite a challenge though. Go for it Hana!

2 comments:

  1. Hana, thanks for the above. It is a well thought out reflection. You have used several ID models. So far, which do you think is most helpful?

    - Tee

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I can't really answer which model is most helpful since it depends on the aims of the development of the product; whether it is a teaching course ware or a learning course ware or both. For example, when I used ASSURE model, my target audience were students and when I used Dick and Carey model, my target audience were teachers. ADDIE model is universal, it can be used for both. Besides, its simplicity makes it easier to apply.

    ReplyDelete